Computer based assessment is not rocket science; it’s been around for a while. It has also been hinted as the future of examinations. No doubt, Computer Based Testing (CBT) has been proven to be a more viable way of assessment and training because of its ability to resolve the lapses found in other examination modes.
Now, if computer based assessment is so much of a good investment for serious examination bodies, then it is expedient to ensure efficiency its use. Efficiency, as mentioned here has nothing to do with the “name” or vender of the software.
In real sense, the efficiency of the computer based assessment software has a lot to do with:
- How the CBT Software was made,
- Who was the software made for,
- For what Examination-related purpose the CBT Software was made.
How was the CBT Software made?
Finding out how the software was made would help in determining which software is perfect for a particular purpose. The information to seek may include:
- The “programming language” or platform used in producing the software: This is mostly needed to ensure that the software is fully compatible with the Operating System or the examination device that you are running.
- The number of developers that worked on the software project: Small companies usually have a single developer to work on a software project. Such software are usually not well tested to be fit for a very serious computer based examination environment.
- Updated compatibility: Was the CBT software made in a way to allow updates? No software is bug-free, but well made software always allow for periodic updates.
Who was the software made for?
We need to deduce who the software was made for, which is as simple as understanding the target market of the software vendor. There is nothing like having a software that was made specifically for YOU. But how can a software be made for you? A Software is made for you if it was made specifically for the group or category of people that you fall into.
For example, the perfect software for a student sitting for JAMB UTME is not Avalanche Flex. Avalanche Flex was made specifically to enable schools, HR departments and other organizations administer their own computer based examination. Avalanche Preparatory Kits is the most appropriate software for a student to practice for JAMB UTME CBT because it was specifically made for students practicing for JAMB UTME.
Avalanche Preparatory Kits is the most appropriate software for a student to practice for JAMB UTME CBT because it was specifically made for students practicing for JAMB UTME.
For what Examination-related purpose was the CBT software made?
Yes! You also need to know the purpose for which the software was made. While I was trying to explain the need for knowing the targeted examiner in the previous example, I “leaked” the purpose for which the Avalanche Flex was made.
Is the CBT Software optimized to solve your examination needs or is it just an adaptive innovation?
An intelligent IT employee of a Secondary School seeking computer based examination software for use in the school would be going for Avalanche Flex because it was made to serve as a full-functional internal examination software.
Was the CBT Software made for the purpose of assessment or just for practice?
Before choosing your software, ensure you determine if your target is to get something for candu to practice questions